Living life by any strong moral principle is not easy. So is being a vegan. It has its costs. A Lot of the important nutrients that our body needs, come from animal sources. So vegans face the big challenge of meeting their body needs without letting go of their morals. Omega 3 fatty acids like ALA, EPA, and DHA are among those nutrients which are very important for our body but the biggest sources of omega 3 are animal in origin.
To know more about the importance of these nutrients click here. So, how can a vegan get these nutrients! This article has a list of the top ten vegan foods containing omega-three fatty acids. The selection has been based on the amount of omega 3 they contain to meet a person’s daily recommended intake of 1.1 grams for adult females and 1.6 grams for adult males. If you are a vegan, keep reading because it was written for you.
1. Chia seeds
One of the most nutritious foods, Chia seeds are a great source of not only omega 3 fatty acids but also of many proteins, fibers, and some important minerals like Selenium and Magnesium.
An ounce of Chia seeds contains 5 grams of omega 3.
A study found that a diet consisting of Chia seeds, oats, nopal, and soya proteins can decrease blood triglycerides and glucose intolerance.
You can eat Chia seeds in yogurt or smoothies or with salad. Grounded Chia seeds can be your alternative to eggs.
A cup of walnuts contains 3.346 grams of ALA.
Many studies have a relationship between walnuts consumption and good brain health.
You can eat Walnuts without mixing them with any dish or you can enjoy them in yogurt, salad, snack bar, granola, or a cooked dish.
3. Hemp Seeds
They contain 2.6 grams of ALA in every three tablespoons.
Along with being rich in many proteins, they contain minerals like Iron, Zinc, and Magnesium. They are good for heart and skin health.
Hemp seeds are slightly sweet and can be eaten in granola and other such foods.
Just a single tablespoon of Flaxseeds contains 2.4 grams of omega-three fatty acids. They are rich in many proteins, fibers, and minerals like Magnesium and Manganese.
They are also available in oil form.
You can eat them by adding them to your cereals, oatmeal, or salad.
5. Kidney beans
Half a cup of these beans contains 0.10g of omega 3s.
They have many health benefits like lowering your cholesterol level.
Not only do people add these beans to their main diet plan but also eat them as part of side dishes like stews, curries, or rice.
5. Soybean oil
It contains 0.92 grams of ALA per tablespoon.
It is used as cooking oil in many Asian countries. It is a good source of many nutrients like riboflavin, Magnesium, potassium, Folic acid, and vitamin K.
You can eat soybeans as a part of your salad or you can use its oil in cooking.
6. Canola oil
Canola oil is one of the richest sources of omega 3 fats.
It is a very famous oil used in the united states. Though some experts have doubts over its benefits because of its high content of omega 6 fats, most doctors support its use. It is used in cooking.
7. Seaweed and algae
They have varying content of omega three depending upon the type of algae you eat.
But for vegans, they are one the best sources. Most of the vegan omega 3 supplements are made from these algae sources.
The examples include Seaweed, nori, spirulina, and chlorella.
You can eat them in many ways depending upon their type. For example, nori is used to wrap sushi, seaweed is crispy and tasty, and chlorella and spirulina make a good addition to smoothies.
8. Brussels Sprouts
They have a high content of fiber, vitamin K vitamin C but most importantly of omega 3 fatty acids.
A half-cup of these vegetables contains about 44 mg of AlA. Not much though but still enough to make a difference.
They make a delicious addition to a person’s diet plan whether in roasted, steamed, bleached, or stir-fried form.
Half a cup of Edamame contains up to 0.28g of omega 3 fats.
They are particularly popular in Japan.
You can eat them as part of a salad or side dish.
10. Perilla Oil
Most famous for its use in Korean cuisines and restaurants, Perilla oil is one of the rich sources of omega-three.
Almost 64 percent of Perilla oil consists of AlA.
You can use it to give good flavor to your foods but don’t use it as cooking oil because its high content of polyunsaturated fats can be detrimental to your health.
Each tablespoon of Perilla oil contains up to 9 grams of AlA.
Male pattern baldness or androgenic alopecia is the loss of hair from the male skull. The earliest onset can be after the twenties but typically occurs later in life. According to the US national library of medicine, More than half of men aged 50 are affected by it, and more than 80 percent aged 70.
Although it is not a pathologic condition, it can cause a lot of mental health problems in men. It only affects the skull. It usually starts at the frontline or top of the skull.
What Causes Male Pattern Baldness?
Male pattern baldness is caused by a combination of three factors, hormones, genetics, and age. Although Male sex hormones or androgens have a positive effect on the axillary and pubic hair as well as the beard, they have a negative effect on the scalp hair. Testosterone increases hair growth while its more potent form Dihydrotestosterone(DHT) is the culprit here that reduces hair growth on the scalp. The tiny cavities at the base of the hair called hair follicles have receptors for DHT. After hormone attachment, the hair cells die, and there is no replacement for them.
Genetics also has a role in hair loss. Due to this, some individuals have more DHT-sensitive hair as compared to others as a result they have an earlier onset and faster progression to baldness. Age also affects hair. A combination of these three factors causes individuals to lose their hair.
What is the Treatment of Male Pattern Baldness?
Although you can’t prevent hair loss, you can definitely slow it down. The most popular treatment strategies involve the use of FDA-approved drugs eg
- Minoxidil: It is available in both liquid and gaseous forms. It is available over the counter and you can easily buy it without a prescription. Side effects include irritation, dryness, and scaling of the scalp. It takes time to produce visible results and once its use is discontinued, hair fall starts again.
- Finasteride is another popular drug. But it is a prescription medicine that is not available over the counter. It also takes time to show noticeable results but once discontinued, hair loss returns.
There are also various nonpharmacological treatments to fight this type of hair loss. These include various types of hair transplant and laser treatment.
Other Strategies to slow down hair loss include
- A balanced diet
- Scalp massages every now and then
- Using various types of natural oils
- Quitting smoking etc
- Androgenetic alopecia.ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/androgenetic-alopecia
- Hair loss: Male pattern baldness. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hair-loss/multimedia/male-pattern-baldness/img-20005838
- Minoxidil topical. (2010). http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a689003.html
- Mayo Clinic Staff. (2016). Hair loss: Causes. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hair-loss/basics/causes/con-20027666
Sciatica refers to any kind of pain, numbness, or tingling sensation in the lower back, back of the thigh, and below the knee. It is caused by problems that affect the sciatic nerve directly or indirectly. These problems result in inflammation of the nerve leading to pain and other sensations that radiate along the course of the nerve. The pain is often relieved by taking painkillers and exercising on a regular basis.
What Causes Sciatica?
There are a lot of problems that cause Sciatica. The underlying feature of all these problems is almost always the same and that is compression of the sciatic nerve. Due to compression, the blood supply to the nerve is cut off and the cells start to starve. Inflammation ensues and pain mediators are released that are sensed by pain receptors present in the area. The nerve is compressed in the following conditions
- Disc herniation: The cartilage plates that separate your spinal vertebrae from each other are called intervertebral discs. Sometimes, usually due to injury, these discs slip away from their normal position and end up compressing the sciatic nerve, causing sciatica
- Spinal stenosis: In this condition, the lower spinal canal through which the spinal cord is passing, gets narrowed. It is also the part where the spinal cord gives off the sciatic nerve, so this nerve also gets compressed in this narrowed canal.
- Piriformis syndrome: It is a condition in which the Piriformis muscle, present in your buttocks and connects the lower spine to thigh bones, compresses the sciatic nerve.
- Spondylolisthesis: It is a degenerative condition of the intervertebral discs. As discs degenerate, the vertebrae can get displaced and compress the nerve resulting in Sciatica.
What Are The Risk Factors For Developing Sciatica?
The factors that give rise to Sciatica are as follows
- Age: We all know that age is an independent risk factor for all human diseases. The changes in the spinal bones and the cartilage in between them can give rise to sciatica
- Obesity: excessive weight puts pressure on your spine that can then put pressure on your spinal cord and the nerves that it gives origin to like the sciatic nerve.
- Diabetes: Diabetes is an enemy of the nerves. So it can also cause Sciatica.
- Smoking: It breaks down the outer layers of your spinal discs, acting as a risk factor for Sciatica.
- Prolonged sitting: As it puts a strain on muscles of thighs and lowers back, it can result in Sciatica as well.
What Is the Treatment of Sciatica?
During the course of treatment, you should continue your work normally. Bed rest is not good because it can worsen your situation. For treatment, the following strategies are employed
- OTC drugs: Drugs like aspirin and ibuprofen can be used to relieve acute sciatic pain but beware of their excessive use because they can cause stomach problems.
- Prescription drugs: Your doctor can also recommend muscle relaxants if the compression is caused by muscle strain or antidepressant drugs that increase the body’s endorphin production. They are natural pain relievers produced by the body.
- Exercise and Stretching: Exercise increases endorphin production and relieves pain. Gentle stretching of your lower back muscles and the muscles of the thigh can also be helpful.
- Surgery: If the pain is unbearable or you have loose bowel and bladder control or control over a group of muscles, surgery might be necessary to perform. During this surgery, the thing that is compressing your nerve will be removed such as a herniated disc. Sources;
- Sciatica. https://medlineplus.gov/sciatica.html
- Diagnosis and treatment of sciatica. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1895638/
- Sciatica: What you need to know. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/7619
- Sciatica: Causes and symptoms. https://www.webmd.com/back-pain/guide/sciatica-symptoms
So it is night again. You want to go to sleep but there is a problem. Your partner won’t stop snoring. It is not only stopping you from going to sleep but oftentimes when you are asleep, your partner’s snoring wakes you up, and there he/she lies enjoying his/her sleep.
Gone are the days when people had to just tolerate their partner’s irritating night voices. Thanks to science we now have hundreds of solutions for a single problem that affects humans. Just keep reading. There is help ahead.
Why do people snore?
You may ask in the first place. Well, there are a lot of causes to why people snore. About half of the US adults snore. The underlying phenomenon of snoring is that when air flows through your throat during breathing, the soft tissues in the throat vibrate and cause all those harsh, irritating sounds that won’t let you sleep. The direct causes of snoring might be
- Blocked Airways (sleep apnea)
- A developmental/congenital problem of the mouth, nose, or throat (anatomy of these body parts)
- Sleep deprivation
- Sleep position
25 Remedies To Make Someone Stop Snoring
So we have compiled 20 remedies to make some stop snoring. First, we will go through snoring remedies you can start practicing at home followed by the remedies you will have to see your physician for.
How To Make Someone Stop Snoring Immediately
To stop snoring instantly, try these remedies. Though they might not be 100 percent effective they can still help a lot in getting rid of snoring.
1. Raise Their Head.
Sometimes, due to gravity and the backward pull of tongue muscles, the tongue is pulled back deep into the throat and starts interfering with normal breathing. By raising their head by at least four(4) inches, their tongue might go back to its normal position. When this happens, Airways might get opened and the snoring may stop.
2.Change Their Side
You can also change the position of their tongue by changing their sleeping position. By moving them to their side, you help their Airways open up and as a result, snoring might stop.
3.Increase The Humidity Of Your Room
Although dry air might not be the direct cause of your partner’s snoring, it sure can aggravate the problem. Keeping a humid, moist atmosphere can help lubricate their Airways. It will make air movement easy and noisy vibrations might be reduced.
4.Keep Them Hydrated
By this, we only mean to make them drink water when they are awake and not waking them up while they are asleep. Because dehydration, as of dry air, might also be aggravating their snoring problem rather than being the direct and sole cause. If, by any chance, they get awake, make them drink water. Otherwise, just try to keep them hydrated so that they don’t snore at night.
Lifestyle And Behavior Changes Required To Make Someone Stop Snoring
Other than the above-mentioned self-help, home remedies that you can practice to make someone stop snoring immediately, following home remedies require changes in behavior and lifestyle.
5.Help Them Get Enough Sleep
Sometimes snoring is caused by not having enough sleep. You might have noticed people snoring while sleeping after being awake for a long while. By helping them get enough daily sleep, you might be able to get rid of their snoring problem.
6.Don’t Let Them Take Alcohol
At least two hours before their bedtime. Alcohol, sedatives, and other such things depress the central nervous system which results in relaxing all of the body muscles, including soft tissues in their throat. As by now, you know relaxed soft tissues of the throat cause snoring.
7.Make Them Take Hot Showers
As you know, hot showers will have a humid environment. It will moisten up their Airways. Moist airways provide an easy passage for air. This can help in getting rid of snoring.
8.Take Care Of Their Diet
Sometimes the food they are taking might be either allergic or they might be causing inflammation. Foods like gluten and dairy, increase overall inflammation. To reduce snoring, inflammation must be reduced and one way to do that is by keeping a healthy anti-inflammatory diet.
9.Make Them Do Throat Exercises
You can also make them try a few throat exercises that would strengthen their throat muscles. Reduced muscle relaxation will reduce snoring.
10.Make/Help Them Quit Smoking
Smoking is a serious problem. It ends up in a lot of complications not only physical but mental as well. Smoking damages the epithelium (outermost layer of cells) of the respiratory tract. Airways are not cleaned properly of the mucus and other debris that ends up there. They impair air movement through the airways and cause snoring.
11.Make/Help Them Lose Weight
As we have described earlier, obesity is one of the causes of snoring. Obese people have poor throat muscle tone and a lot of fatty tissue which contribute to snoring. Help them lose weight. With all other benefits, it will also help them get rid of snoring.
Devices And Medication To Make Someone Stop Stop Snoring
These days there are a few devices that can help get rid of snoring. Though the efficiency depends upon the quality and whether they are FDA approved or not, still they might solve your problem as causes of snoring vary from person to person.
12.Get Rid Of Their Allergies
If they have allergies that you know of, get them the medication for those allergies. Sometimes allergies cause congestion of the airways. As we know, blocked Airways cause snoring.
Nasal sprays may also be useful to treat snoring caused by inflamed tissues in the airways. These sprays contain anti-inflammatory medications that treat inflammation and as a result, snoring.
14.Change Their Pillows
As we have discussed before, raising the head of a snoring person can be of important value. If your usual house pillows are not working, try some of these specially made anti-snoring pillows.
15.Use Nasal Strips Or An External Nasal Dilator
Blocked or narrow noses or airways can be kept open with these devices. They are specially designed to serve their purpose.
If snoring is caused by an open mouth, a vestibular shield can help get rid of snoring as it keeps the mouth shut and encourages people to breathe through their nose
17.Mandibular Advancement Devices
Again, if a person’s tongue is blocking the airways, and is the cause of snoring, this device can be used. It is worn in the mouth and is used to bring the tongue forward so that it doesn’t fall back into the throat.
18.Use A CPAP Machine
CPAP stands for continuous positive air pressure therapy. It is used to treat sleep apnea by delivering pure oxygen at high pressure. As snorers have difficulty breathing, a CPAP machine might be of good value in treating snoring.
Surgeries To Make Someone Stop Snoring
There are various Surgeries to stop snoring, each depending upon the condition a person is suffering from. You should consider snoring Surgeries’ costs as well as their effectiveness before getting the surgery. Below are the Surgeries to treat snoring
It is a simple surgery. It involves removing part of
- Uvula, the drop-shaped fleshy part you see when you open your mouth
- Soft palate
This procedure helps in widening the narrow throat for air to pass easily without causing any vibrations
2o.Palatal Stiffening Operation
Also called electrical cautery, the palatal stiffening procedure stiffens the soft palate so that it does not vibrate during sleep and cause snoring
It involves injecting a chemical substance into the soft palate to reduce its size. Back in 2014, a study was conducted that found it to be an effective way of treating snoring caused by the soft palate.
It is not as extreme as UPPP. It only requires general anesthesia. In this method, a laser is used to reduce the size of either soft palate, Uvula, or both.
23.Radio Frequency Ablation Also Known as Somnoplasty
High-frequency radio waves are used in this method to create a lesion on the soft palate to reduce its size.
A deviated Nasal septum is corrected with this method if it is the cause of snoring
It involves the insertion of small implants in the soft palate that stiffen it reducing its ability to vibrate when air passes through it.
If you have any further questions for me, comment down below and I will try my best to answer them. Take care.
- Snoring. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/anatomyvideos/000119.htm
- Snoring; Symptoms, Causes, and treatment. //www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/snoring/symptoms-causes
- Snoring; Diagnosis and Treatment. https://www.healthline.com/health/snoring
- Snoring Remedies. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/303834
- Things you can do to help you stop snoring. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/snoring/